Monday 16 April 2018

The first cut

I worked out how much wood was needed and it meant two sheets of plywood. They were delivered and I set about cutting the first shelf from the sheet.


The sheets are 2440 x 1220mm which is close to the old 8 x 4 ft sheets. I cut the shelf with a circular saw, propping up the sheet so I didn't cut the floor too. As I expected, the walls were not quite square so I had to trim the shelf a little. I fixed battens to block walls which are very strong. Under the stairs there is a thick wooden brace which is part of the staircase behind the plaster, which was a great way to fix that batten. To help prevent the shelf sagging I fixed a brace under the middle of the shelf along its length, which I notched into the end battens. I'm not sure if the shelf will sag, as it will be fixed to the shelf above too between the drawers, but I thought it was worth adding the extra strength.

I think the next job will be to make the drawers then I can position the top shelf at the best spacing based on the drawer size. I'm not working to the plan exactly, it is just a guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment.

I have decided, regrettably, to review comments before they are published to ensure that offensive or inappropriate comments do not get shown.

Genuine comments are always welcome and will be published as quickly as possible.

Nearly there

My new hall cabinet is nearly there. The loose fit was good so when it was broken apart all of the boards were primed and then the carcass w...