Saturday 14 April 2018

A scribble

I thought that making better use of the awkward space under the stairs needed a plan. Here's a photo of the space, it's not huge but is qualifies as awkward. The clock is not a vital part of the layout.

An awkward space
I measured up the various dimensions and sketched a few ideas. Here's the sketch plan I ended up with. 

A sketched plan 
I decided not to fill all of the space, but to create a stepped space. At the bottom will be a pair of drawers sandwiched between two shelves. The shelves will both be fixed to the walls and make a strong base to help support the rest of the build. Above the drawers there will be two spaces to stuff things like scarves, gloves and hats into. Above that there will be a cupboard with one or two shelves in it. This will leave three open spaces. On the top one there will be space to stand the internet router. This will need cables to be guided up there, preferably without them dangling or getting tangled so there's a boxed-in space at the tall end to pull cables through. The drawers and stuff spaces will not be full depth, so there will be room for cables behind them too. 

I'm going to build it from 12mm plywood. I'm not sure about the drawers yet, except that I'll use metal runners that extend to support them. These will be hidden behind drawer fronts, which are not shown. 

I think calling this a plan sounds as though it is how it will be built. I think it is a really a scribbled group of ideas that might turn out quite differently. Let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment.

I have decided, regrettably, to review comments before they are published to ensure that offensive or inappropriate comments do not get shown.

Genuine comments are always welcome and will be published as quickly as possible.

Nearly there

My new hall cabinet is nearly there. The loose fit was good so when it was broken apart all of the boards were primed and then the carcass w...