Saturday 28 April 2018

Tear down

The cupboard at the top of the cabinet was fairly straightforward to make. I needed to fix a brace to the wall to support the right side. This will carry the hinges for the door, so it needs to be stiffer than the left side. I will fix the top with screws into the left side because the top is high enough for the screw heads not to show. 

I would show a photo of all of this, but I took the whole cabinet apart before I realised I hadn't taken a picture.

Every flat board now has a hole in the back right corner so cables can be pulled through. When the cabinet is fully assembled the right end will be fully enclosed, so threading cables will need a helping hand. I think I'll put a drawstring through, fixed to a screw at the top to assist.

Now the cabinet is in bits I'll fill where needed, sand everything and prime everywhere. This will take a while, mostly waiting for the paint to dry. Then I'll assemble everything fixing to the the wall battens properly for the first time. Then the small cover pieces need pinning in place, the pin holes and edges filled and then everything will get undercoat then finally a coat of gloss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment.

I have decided, regrettably, to review comments before they are published to ensure that offensive or inappropriate comments do not get shown.

Genuine comments are always welcome and will be published as quickly as possible.

Nearly there

My new hall cabinet is nearly there. The loose fit was good so when it was broken apart all of the boards were primed and then the carcass w...