Thursday 19 April 2018

Somewhere to keep your drawers

Now the drawers are made I know the size and shape of the space they should occupy. I carefully measured the shelf to go above the drawers and cut a 45 degree angle so it will fit under the slope of the stairs. A batten against each wall will support it. I then needed supports for the drawer sliders. These will fix the two shelves together adding extra stiffness and strength. The whole affair was a bit fiddly but finally I fitted the shelf supports and the shelf only to find a bit of a gap between the stair slope and the shelf. The shelf is going to be painted, so the gap will fill with caulk, but it's still annoying. I must remember that walls are not square. I hid the problem in the photo, it's too annoying to show the world.



Some of the pieces are screwed together to make it stay put, but the shelves are not screwed to the wall yet and they are not fully joined to each other yet either. The whole thing will need to be taken apart to sand and prime before it goes together more permanently. 

I'm going to use screws in hidden places. For example, the bottom shelf is covered by the drawers and the top shelf, so I can add screws anywhere to fix it to the wall. The whole right end will be boxed-in as a cable tidy, so any fixing there will be hidden, but the top shelf will be partly exposed, so fixings there need to be in the right place. The next level will be open at the front, but will have a small boxed-in section so that will hide screws at the back of te top shelf. I'm not sure how to fix the two sections together yet, which is another example of poor planning or a dynamic approach to building depending on your point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to add a comment.

I have decided, regrettably, to review comments before they are published to ensure that offensive or inappropriate comments do not get shown.

Genuine comments are always welcome and will be published as quickly as possible.

Nearly there

My new hall cabinet is nearly there. The loose fit was good so when it was broken apart all of the boards were primed and then the carcass w...